Language as a tool for communication and cultural reality discloser
The Relationship between the Communication, Language and Culture
The link between communication and culture, could be seen from our daily practice of communication or interaction between individuals and groups. The language we use must have been influenced by where we live, as well as the ethnic neighborhoods around us. In this case, culture in regard to human being way of life. Humans learn, think, feel, believe, and seek what is appropriate according to the culture. Language, friendship, custom, practice communication, social action, economic activity, politics, and technology, all these were based on cultural patterns. As for who speak Makassarese, Gorontalonese, Sundanese, Javanese, Malay, and English. This is all because they have been born or at least raised in a culture that contains these elements. What they do, how they act, a response to cultural functions. This means that communication and culture cannot be separated, because culture not only determines who is talking whom, about what, and where the communication takes place, but the culture also helped determine the encode messages, the meaning and the message he had for the conditions to send, pay attention, interpret the message.
Actually, the whole repertoire of behavior we are very dependent on, the culture we grew up, in line with previously disclosed at the beginning of the discussion. Consequently, culture is the foundation of communication. If cultural diversity, it is also a variety of communication practices.
Here are presented the role of language as a communication tool:
1) Language as a tool to interact with others. Condition for the communication occurred is need involvement of two or more persons conducting talk to each other. In this case interaction process is emphasized in order to allow interchange feedback between the speaker to his interlocutor, and vice versa.
2) Language reflects a person’s level of education. An educated would be recalled better than uneducated people. The higher a person’s education, the higher their speech wisdom. The emergence of this opinion because the
interaction is often done by people who are well educated, influenced by the environment of residence, as well as the school environment or the working environment. So that educated people tend to interact with the environment that
supports the use of language quality, than those who are less educated.
3) Indicates authority. A leader would have to be able to speak well rewarded subordinates. This is related to one’s mastery of the language, if a leader can speak well, then he can express his ideas in a clear and straightforward so that
shows the authority of the leader.
4) As the force of law. With language, a person can identify the language of self-defense or rival. Someone who speaks, even to escape easily from the case addressed to him. This suggests that language can be implemented as an ability / skill in communicating.
5) Attract the customer. Language of good and interesting ads will make consumers interested in trying your product. In communications, advertising language is included in the scope of advertising. In an effort to convey the benefits and efficacy of the product, the process of communication can not be released from the distribution of a product to consumers.
6) Indicates a person’s social standing. With the language, one can reflect on his position in society. Diversity of languages mastered one will certainly differ from one to another, it is influenced by the language acquisition from the
environment. So people who have a high diversity of languages, and be able to communicate well be seen as the privileged in society.
Language is a system of symbols used by humans to communicate or express ideas and thoughts to others. The language used is influenced or affected the culture and vice versa. Therefore it can be said that the language and culture has a very close relationship. Through the language of the person, his interlocutor can usually tell the background of the speaker. That’s there is parable says that language indicate the nation.